Modify your misplaced and dangling modifiers

Misplaced and dangling modifiers can sneak in when writers and editors aren’t paying attention. A couple of readers found such constructions in recent N&O pieces, and I found a couple in one article I was reading on another Web site. Those examples provide the makings for this post.

A modifier is a word, a phrase or a clause that changes the meaning of other words by adding description or precision. Modifiers can act as adjectives or as adverbs.

This article was originally posted by the Raleigh News & Observer, a subsidiary of The McClatchy Co.; is posted here to provide continuity; and is copyright © 2011 The News & Observer Publishing Company, which reserves the right to remove this post.